Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thing 8

I had so much fun with Flickr the first time, I looked forward to this "thing." The amount of apps using Flickr shocked me.  Some of these apps let you create something while others simple help you use Flickr.  One of the most interesting things I found belonged to the second group.  This site, http://www.whatsthatpicture.com/flickr/commons-map.php, allows the user to view a world map and see where different pictures from Flickr were taken.  All these pictures are from the Commons, so they are something I could use in the classroom.  This site is very useful.  For example if you wanted to find a picture taken of something in Ireland, you can zoom in on that country and see all the pictures from the Commons from Ireland.  The site mashed Google Earth and the Commons to provide the map.  It is important to note that this map is still in the process of being created so their are still some kinks and things to be desired.  The site also has a very interesting page called on this day where you can select a date and they will provide a picture from that day in history. 

Other sites allow the user to create various objects.  Some of these seem less academic to me, but can be fun for use in my personal life.  For instance, I created this using a picture of some penguins.


This website, http://bighugelabs.com/, has a variety of tools for use with Flickr.  You can put captions of pictures, which could be quite useful in creating presentations.

This further exploration into Flickr has changed my mind on the site.  I now plan on using it in my classroom for finding pictures from history and using them in my lectures.

1 comment:

  1. I have not yet made it to Thing 8, however, after reading and seeing yours, I am excited. It also further my excitement to be able to use sites like these in my classroom! Thank you for sharing your discoveries!

    ReplyDelete