Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Thing 5

I am from a small town in a rural area.  Technology was non existent in my high school.  The only computers available for student use were located in a classroom and reserved solely for the Information Technology classes (typing, document creation, etc.).  I also attended a small liberal arts school.  Although more technology was available at this school, things were still pretty low key.  Thus, technology was never part of my education.  Until I attended Murray State, I was much more comfortable with a book than a computer.  It was only after several trips to the library that I became comfortable with internet research.  School 2.0 is a completely different type of education than the one I am familiar with from experience.  The multitude of resources available for educators is astounding.  It is possible (and not even difficult) to assign students a project entailing them creating an animated video online.  This could provide a great opportunity for students to learn in a unique manner.  I believe school 2.0 is a chance for students to move past the knowledge level of learning.  No longer do students of ANY subjects need to be assigned the memorization of facts solely.  Teachers have thousands of resources available to them that that help engage students in lessons and help them more fully learn the material.  Future schools may look very different.  As technology becomes more affordable (and practical for schools) teachers will adapt their lessons and use different tools more regularly.  Technology is not only changing the way we communicate with family, but also the way we learn and teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment